However, a photo of the painting taken by Bro. Rommel and brought by him in Rome around the time of the President's visit, succeeded to reach the hands of Pope John Paul II in some unexpected and surprising circumstances in October 4, 2003 when Bishop Precioso D. Cantillas had an audience with the Holy Father during his Ad Limina visit where Bro. Rommel was brought along. Unfortunately however, the request of the Filipino people for the Holy Father to proclaim the 5"' Marian dogma, Mary as Coredemptrix, Advocate and Mediatrix of all Graces, sadly, was not conveyed.
The Second Painting
The second painting was done by Anthony Urionaylo. It was commissioned on 13th May and completed on 13th June 2003, the feast of Sr. Lucia's final vision of the Blessed Mother in 1929 in Tuy which Susan later learned was called by Sr. Lucia as "The Luminous Cross" vision! This painting would be brought around the country as a pilgrim painting to propagate the devotion.
Susan says that just like in Tuy, Spain when Sister Lucia got her last vision of a Luminous Cross, our Blessed Mother inspires her that we have to let people know that "She is the Luminous Door through which all should enter by consecrating themselves to her Immaculate Heart. Our Blessed Mother promises that this will bring about Her much awaited Triumph and will enable her to dispense the "grace of peace... true peace".
Susan got the inspiration from the Blessed Mother to have the 2nd painting blessed by the bishops of the Philippines. On June 15, 2003, Trinity Sunday, Bishop Jesse Mercado blessed the pilgrim painting. On June 29`h, Feast of St. Peter and Paul, Susan was "told by the Blessed Mother to attend a Mass and to approach the priest who celebrated the Mass". The priest was Fr. Peter Lechner, who was to be the Retreat Master of the Bishops' Retreat in the beginning of July, and who, facilitated the blessing of the painting by the bishops who attended his retreat. In July 04, 2003, at the end of the Bishops' Retreat, some sixty bishops blessed the painting at Betania Retreat House, Tagaytay City.
25th July 2003, on the Feast of St James the Apostle, the devotion to the Luminous Cross was first launched at St James the Great Parish in Ayala Alabang. The Pilgrim painting was presented and explained, scapulars with the image of the Luminous Cross on it were distributed and prayers were offered.
Shortly thereafter as Susan related: "I received another inspiration to have the pilgrim painting brought to Maasin Leyte." Susan asked, "Why in Maasin, Leyte? "Later on she learned that the historic Limasawa Island where the First Holy Mass was celebrated belongs in the Diocese of Maasin. The Filipino people received the "seed" of the Catholic Faith when the first Mass was celebrated on our shores on March 31, 1521 by Fray Pedro de Valderama who accompanied' Magellan.
Bishop Precioso D. Cantillas, SDB, DD, Bishop of Maasin, welcomed the second launching of the devotion to the Luminous Cross of Grace which took place on August 15, 2003 on the Feast of Our Lady of the Assumption in Maasin, Leyte.